Author Topic: Battlefield 3  (Read 11333 times)

Evoke

• |LMC| Senior Member
    • http://winkzor.deviantart.com/
Re: Battlefield 3
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 01:40:28 am »
If it's anything like BC2, which it probably will be. TBH I think it will be another COD clone. it will be almost as good as black ops.

yes it is like bc2 when it comes to it being a shooter, having destruction and some maps set in a desert region. Also name a battlefield game that has more than just on-screen blood spatter, regen health and weapon modifying (and that too with only 3-4 scopes and 2 different ammo and explosive types) in common with CoD.. OH RIGHT ITS A SHOOTER SET IN THE MODERN DAY THEREFORE IT MUST BE A COD CLONE! /sarcasm, you REALLY don't want to get me started on BF =/= CoD clone.

Black ops.. good? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• (LMC) Friend
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 09:22:01 am »
If it's anything like BC2, which it probably will be. TBH I think it will be another COD clone. it will be almost as good as black ops.

yes it is like bc2 when it comes to it being a shooter, having destruction and some maps set in a desert region. Also name a battlefield game that has more than just on-screen blood spatter, regen health and weapon modifying (and that too with only 3-4 scopes and 2 different ammo and explosive types) in common with CoD.. OH RIGHT ITS A SHOOTER SET IN THE MODERN DAY THEREFORE IT MUST BE A COD CLONE! /sarcasm, you REALLY don't want to get me started on BF =/= CoD clone.

My post went WAY over your head man, re-read it. Either that or this is some attempt at a muckty troll?
"With a gun barrel between your teeth, you speak only in vowels."

omniconsumer

• |LMC| Leader
  • There are black holes on my face.
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2011, 10:10:43 am »
If you think about it long enough all first person shooters are relatively the same anyway.  Point-click-shoot....

Evoke

• |LMC| Senior Member
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2011, 10:42:37 am »

My post went WAY over your head man, re-read it. Either that or this is some attempt at a muckty troll?

i read it 5 times trying to figure out if you're serious, i think you should read your post yourself again

also i think you missed the "dragging your teammates into cover" part of the video which is a feauture along with destruction and graphics

ZenPhire

• |LMC| Leader
  • Good times...
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2011, 02:53:05 pm »
What is with the trolling lately!? I'm going to analyze this exchange as an example. =)

DISCLAIMER: I am not trying to belittle or patronize. Please understand that I am only analyzing this example because it's my job as a leader to raise awareness. I would have sent this as only a PM to both parties. But since the misunderstanding is small, I figured it an excellent opportunity to use it as an example without insulting anyone. (Whereas in a more serious conflict, highlighting people's mistakes could be embarrassing to those involved) I normally wouldn't bother, but there has been a serious increase in these small miscommunication leading to flames and such. I feel obligated to address the issue. I could make this a new thread and open to discussion, but I think that might bring unnecessary attention to a simple example. I could PM it to all the members, and friends, but that takes a lot of time. (although that would be the right way to publish this example)  =(

(FYI: the initial miscommunication was due to 44's sarcastic comment: "it will be almost as good as black ops." Evoke took it literally, since there was nothing to signify that the comment was sarcastic.)

Evoke your comment started the cycle by saying:
OH RIGHT ITS A SHOOTER SET IN THE MODERN DAY THEREFORE IT MUST BE A COD CLONE! /sarcasm
Which was certainly more mocking (therefore subtly insulting) than it was sarcasm.

As well as with the:
Laughing at someone for their comment is certainly not mature. And the obvious intended effect is to belittle someone.

I think it's better to leave these parts out.

Then we have 44 retaliating (contributing to the fire):
My post went WAY over your head man, re-read it.
Which is another attempt to belittle someone by way of exaggerating a misunderstanding. Then pointing to the same comment which generated the misconception, without offering any clarification. This needlessly adds to the confusion of the situation, raises the other persons level of frustration, and provokes a personal response. Saying it went over heir head is also a jab at their intelligence or awareness. I would have said: "My comment about black ops being good was sarcastic. I was making a parody of the system."

It's accurate to say that 44 uses veiled sarcasm and leaves no way to tell his true meaning without simply guessing his true opinion by way of knowing him personally and his opinions based on previous conversation. If you use sarcasm in this way, be prepared to be misunderstood, and also prepared to have to summon the patience to correct people maturely. Otherwise, it's you laying the troll bait, by setting people up with intentionally ambiguous sarcasm and then provoking them when they respond to it. If you communicate in this way, you make it your responsibility to clarify the conversation.

Either that or this is some attempt at a muckty troll?

This is an insulting assumption. And I know you were only speaking from what you think is true or likely, but nevertheless it's an insulting notion, true or not. I have used this mechanic too in my fault (though I am getting better at avoiding it). It's a ploy, by analyzing the possibilities, to reinforce your first and primary conclusion by juxtaposing it with a negative and unwanted alternative. This either/or format can be acceptable when used very carefully, but many times its result is a passive insult or manipulation.

I have a hard time with this one because when used unconsciously, it's validated and rationalized as simply "speaking the truth". Yet if the truth is insulting, it's more mature to say nothing, or if it must be said: be VERY tactful. This is a gray area of the code of conduct but it is also addressed by "BENEVOLENCE" and being considerate of other's feelings.

------------------------------

I'm only articulating this because I honestly wonder sometimes if everyone understands these dynamics in conservation. I was raised by a psychotherapist and grew up being taught these things. We say and do things as a result of consciousness influenced by emotion and the unconscious mind. We rationalize and validate everything we do to feel in control, but if you take a step back and actually see the interactions, the subtleties are easy to see.

I'm sure you all already know this stuff and see it. But we all forget now and again, or choose not to see because we are stressed, or just don't care at the moment. I'm just reminding us all that we need to turn that switch on BEFORE things get carried away, if we want to avoid drama. =)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 03:00:36 pm by KauaiBoi »
“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” – Plato

• (LMC) Friend
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 04:10:43 pm »
I wasn't trolling, you wouldn't know if I was trolling. When I say you, I don't mean you personally, Kauai.

Militant

• I feel involved.
  • Capitalist or imperialist, which is it?
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 04:36:54 pm »
He didn't say you were trolling, he said you were laying troll bait unintentionally because you weren't clear about what you were saying. 

Anyways, back to the topic at hand:
http://gdc.gamespot.com/story.html?sid=6301586&pid=621026&mode=previews&amp%3Btag=topslot%3Bthumb%3B2

As of now it looks and sounds like a combination of COD and BC2.  I am sure it will end up being more like BC2 though, since it is nearly as popular as COD just not as well publicized.

ZenPhire

• |LMC| Leader
  • Good times...
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2011, 05:03:38 pm »
I was only saying that: if you are vague, and someone responds, I think it's your responsibility to clarify. And if instead of clarifying, you react... then it can be seen as troll bait (albeit unintentional). =)

I never said anyone was trolling, or that anyone did anything wrong really. I just wanted to give an example of the kinds of little mis-communications that start drama. And how easily they can be avoided; yet how extremely difficult it is to remain aware of them and to filter our communication of our reactions. Communicating from a place of ideal maturity instead of communicating by reacting, is easy in practice, but difficult to be diligent in. But that's what we do! Aim high. =D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 05:08:38 pm by KauaiBoi »

omniconsumer

• |LMC| Leader
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2011, 06:13:18 pm »
Aren't all these games the same really?  Come on, come on....has anyone really taken the time to actually  think...."Hey...wait up, omni is always right. What am I thinking trying to go up against his flawless logic and beautiful articulated points of view? Why? Why?" 

All these fps are the same.  I am starting to get sick of the genre.  I am hoping that RO2 and perhaps PR:Arma2 will get me back into the fray.  However, if it just ends up the same then I will probably quit playing those games as well.

Evoke

• |LMC| Senior Member
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2011, 01:24:18 am »
Apparently american and estonian sarcasm are entirely different, estonian one is always slightly insulting but noticeable and the american one (from what i've read everywhere) is hidden

also the "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA" was at blops being sarcasticly good not at .44

levi

• (LMC) Friend
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2011, 05:25:33 am »
Sarcasm is usually detected by changes in the voice so its kinda hard to notice it on forums
Facillis Descensus Averno, Ave Atque Vale, Nil Desperandum, Dum Vita Est Spes Est, Nihil Verum, Licet Omni

ZenPhire

• |LMC| Leader
  • Good times...
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2011, 12:25:57 pm »
Aren't all these games the same really?  Come on, come on....has anyone really taken the time to actually  think...."Hey...wait up, omni is always right. What am I thinking trying to go up against his flawless logic and beautiful articulated points of view? Why? Why?" 

All these fps are the same.  I am starting to get sick of the genre.  I am hoping that RO2 and perhaps PR:Arma2 will get me back into the fray.  However, if it just ends up the same then I will probably quit playing those games as well.

I don't mind games being largely the same (and yes, these games generally are extremely similar), as long as there are slight improvements. R6V gave u a workable cover system. GRAW gave us leaning (or maybe someone else did before that). BF1942 gave us killer vehicle combat. FEAR gave us destructible environments (But Black did before that).  These newer games seem to be making small enhancements in immersion at least (more effects, blood splatter, hit impact when shot, etc). But it seems all the force of innovation is in the things I really despise. Like ranking systems (turning FPSs into MMORPGs); and cheesy kill streak perks, etc.

I just wish there was more of an effort in making games more tactical yet still fun. The divergence (compare ARMA2 to MoH) is obvious. But that means that games that do a great job at blending tactics and action are so rare. Most new shooter don;t even have a lean function!!! Games are removing tactical features, supplanting them with cheese and fluff to keep those with ADHD interested. It's a downward spiral IMHO.

I'm not saying that these new games aren't fun or tactical. Just not as tactical as to really encourage teamwork and squad tactics. They all seem customized for console gamers and the very casual gaming experience.

At least if a game allows modding and has tools, then a tactical version can be created. It's a shame when developers stifle creativity. =P

BF3 looks to be very amazing, and fun. It could be brilliant in it's own right, and it could even be more tactical than the rest (It already will be now that it will have prone again). But still BC2 was a step backwards, now with this step forward were only back to BF2, which was so many years ago. I though that by now someone would have invented a more flexible movement sytstem with cover utilization and the likes.

I do think that RO2 will be different though (at least, I hope it will); and that it will offer a great blend between tactical gameplay and action.

omniconsumer

• |LMC| Leader
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 01:37:59 pm »
I do think that RO2 will be different though (at least, I hope it will); and that it will offer a great blend between tactical gameplay and action.

Google it dude, I would link you but I'm in a rush to work!  It's going to be so awesome just because it's made only for PC.  In my opinion, that alone put's it one leg up on the other games already.

Chavis01

• (LMC) Friend
  • Ninja Soap!
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 06:57:52 pm »
Love It.
Buying It.

• (LMC) Friend
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 07:09:37 pm »

Imagine RO with all the problems fixed, and better graphics. RO2 (from what their president has stated)

I have so much confidence in this game because all the problems I had with the game (for example, submachine guns having more recoil than rifles) are in the works of being fixed (once again from what their president has stated)

I don't dislike BF3, and TBH I hope the best for it. Like I said before,  I don't know anything about the game as it isn't out yet. But from the last few games EA/Dice has released (which have been complete and utter muck, IMO) I don't have a lot of hope.