Author Topic: BF3 for PS3?  (Read 5629 times)

WAAKOW

• (LMC) Friend
BF3 for PS3?
« on: October 15, 2011, 11:12:55 am »
I can't afford a new computer. So I was thinking I would finally just get a PS3 and play BF3 with a mouse and keyboard. I could never in a million years go back to playing a FPS on a controller. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 03:42:10 pm by ZenPhire-KauaiBoi »

ZenPhire

• |LMC| Leader
  • Good times...
Re: BF3 for PS3?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 03:42:26 pm »
Can you do that with BF3 for PS3? Or do you mean just buying something like the split fish controller?
“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” – Plato

omniconsumer

• |LMC| Leader
  • There are black holes on my face.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 03:46:00 pm »
That kind of sounds awkward to me, but if it works then go for it.  It would probably look pretty awkward as well lol.  I thought you weren't into first person shooters Waakow.

WAAKOW

• (LMC) Friend
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 04:21:31 pm »
Can you do that with BF3 for PS3? Or do you mean just buying something like the split fish controller?

I think you can. I'm sure there is a way to do it. I've seen lots of examples of different ways of doing in on the PS3. The xbox seems less suited for the task though.

That kind of sounds awkward to me, but if it works then go for it.  It would probably look pretty awkward as well lol.  I thought you weren't into first person shooters Waakow.

Why do you think it would be awkward? I really don't know, do you think it would be?
And you think I'm not into FPS? What made you think that? I love a good FPS. I always enjoyed the HL series, I've played the BF series sense BF 1942 in 2002. I just seem to always be lagging behind the curve in technology to play these games. I is always pooor :( When the next gen console comes out I might end up just ditching the PC totally if I can play with a mouse and keyboard.

ZenPhire

• |LMC| Leader
  • Good times...
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 04:39:00 pm »
I think you can. I'm sure there is a way to do it. I've seen lots of examples of different ways of doing in on the PS3. The xbox seems less suited for the task though.
It has to be built into the game. UT3 can do it, but most cant. The only other way is to buy a special controller like splitfish, or else buy an emulator device ($60 and up).

omniconsumer

• |LMC| Leader
  • There are black holes on my face.
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 10:30:45 pm »
Why do you think it would be awkward? I really don't know, do you think it would be?
And you think I'm not into FPS? What made you think that?....

I suppose it would all have to placement of everything and the set up.  I just picture it as awkward in my mind because I probably couldn't pull it off for myself. lol

For some reason I thought you didn't like fps because I thought you might have mentioned your dissatisfaction with the genre, but I was obviously mistaken. 

ZenPhire

• |LMC| Leader
  • Good times...
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 10:54:55 pm »
WAAKOW was a treasured member of our competition team in INS [sT[ for a long time. He sill holds the record for m203 expert in INS. We should do some INS fun one of these days for old times sake. You are the explosion master WAAKOW! =)

WAAKOW

• (LMC) Friend
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 11:15:43 pm »
WAAKOW was a treasured member of our competition team in INS [sT[ for a long time. He sill holds the record for m203 expert in INS. We should do some INS fun one of these days for old times sake. You are the explosion master WAAKOW! =)

Thank you, thank you Mr. Kauai. I would enjoy a good game of INS now and again. It's a real shame that the game stopped getting support from its developers and the community. I still think it has the perfect combination/balance of tight gameplay and realism. I will always be judging other games mechanics on how they stack up to INS. INS is one of the few games that I don't rage at when I die. I do still rage of course but not at the game itself, just at myself or my poor luck. The game almost never left me feeling cheated when I would die. And that's really saying something considering how much I died when I first started playing the game. But it never phased me because my death always made sense and seemed fair. I have played other games and completely owned but if I die for some BS reason I will HATE the game.

Thanks for the info on the mouse/keyboard support for the PS3. I'll have to make certain I can do what I want before I decide.
I imagine that if I can pull it off though that it would be a total chicken shoot. No one will be able to compete with me in the consoleverse if I have a mouse/keyboard and they are stuck with their wonky analog sticks. But then again, aim assist will be standard with most games I guess. Maybe this isn't such a good idea...

WAAKOW

• (LMC) Friend

ZenPhire

• |LMC| Leader
  • Good times...
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 10:48:55 am »
I found this review illuminating (for the Eagle Eye):

Quote from: Shatner
Like most I was very excited to read the reviews and watch the demos. I ordered and installed the product, and set everything up properly. The customer support is great, and the new firmware fixed any small issues the product had with jaggedness. There is no lag, and aiming is, technically, more accurate than is possible with a controller.

HOWEVER, I ultimately returned the product. The problem that I haven't seen mentioned is that the main thing that makes using a mouse so much better than a controller simply doesn't translate onto PS3:
On a PC, a mouse is LINEAR. If you move the mouse 2 inches to the right your character turns a certain amount. If you move the mouse 2 inches to the right quickly, the character turns the EXACT SAME AMOUNT, he just does it MORE QUICKLY. This is not the case when using a mouse on Black Ops, Medal of Honor, etc. The Eagle Eye basically translates the "mouse is moving to the right" action into "right analog stick is being pushed to the right." This, in theory, works well. However, on the PS3, the speed of your character's turn depends not on the speed that the mouse moves, nor the distance, but on a fixed in game sensitivity. For example, if you set your sensitivity to 2 in Black Ops, your character can only turn at a certain max speed. If you try to swipe your mouse to the right quickly, the PS3 only understands that the right analog stick is being pushed breifly, and your character will barely move. If you move the mouse relatively slowly, the character will turn farther, because the PS3 thinks the right analog stick has been pushed right for a longer period of time. This is the opposite of how it works on PC, and is very disconcerting. This is no fault of Penguin United, it is simply the way the game undertands inputs, and it cannot be changed unless the game has an option to undestand inputs in a linear way, such as the native mous/kb option in UT3. Ultimately, This was very frustrating/confusing, and I wound up losing more firefights trying to fight this effect and my own inutition than I would have if I had simply used the controller.

I've read a few reviews from most, and it's tricky. I did a lot of research on this a year back and found that there was only ONE product worth buying. It's an emulator so you can use any keyboard and mouse (great since you may need a high dpi mouse to get a decent result. I can't remember the name but it wasn't the Eagle Eye (but similar concept). Mos solutions won't come close to your expectations. Honestly, you might just want to upgrade your PC. It's a great time to buy and I can help you part a build together. Depending on what you have now, you may only need a few parts. You could get awayy with spending under $200 and have a gaming rig capable of BF3 and other new games (with better graphics than PS3 of course).

Let me know if you'll consider a build and I can help. =) Step one, figuring out what you got.

I've always been curious about that split fish controller (Frag Fx). I love the idea of the 4 buttons on the mouse... I'd like to see a controller just like that become standard. That way you have superior aiming (mouse) mixed with superior movement (joystick), all in one. =)
Sometimes I play just like that, with my mouse in one hand, and a controller in the other (PS2 controller with USB converter and Xpadder to customize controls). Works great! and I do it for guests who are scared of keyboard gaming but need convincing that the mouse is vastly superior for FPS games. ;)

WAAKOW

• (LMC) Friend
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 05:13:47 pm »
YEah, this sounds like more trouble then it's worth. I'll probably just have to wait for the consolverse to become more friendly to M/Ks.

I would like to fix up my current computer. I just don't know how easy/cheap that would be. I built my own computer back in 2001 when I just got out of high school and I haven't had a time in my life sense that afforded me the money to make another. My current computer is an Acer with a small form factor case. I got it for $300 at the time and slapped a small form factor graphics card into it. I've opened it and it is a real bitch to work with. My only hope I guess would be to buy a new case and put everything into it then get a better graphics card and processor.
My model is an Acer Aspire X1300. http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/2009/acer/aspire/AspireX1300/AspireX1300sp2.shtml
It has an AMD Athlon™ X2 dual-core processor
3 GB of DDR2 667/800 MHz SDRAM
and a slot for a card PCI Express® 2.0 x16 graphics card support

So I see my options being a new processor - AMD Phenom™ X4 quad-core processor
Adding a new 2BG RAM to make it 4GB
and a new Graphics Card to add, I have no clue on this one sense I stopped paying attention to graphics cards a while ago.

Your insight on this would be greatly appreciated Kauai.

ZenPhire

• |LMC| Leader
  • Good times...
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 05:51:17 pm »
Computer build for WAAKOW discussion forked to:
http://www.lmcgaming.com/forums/index.php/topic,5118.0.html
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 03:42:41 pm by ZenPhire-KauaiBoi »

yourworst

• |LMC| Inactive
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 02:49:37 am »
I already ordered BF3 for PC, but i might give it a shot on PS3 too, just bought one like 4 days ago, feel free to add me, PSN: yourworst09