Author Topic: Need some Help in selecting a gaming PC  (Read 5219 times)

sidbob01

• I'm on my way!
Need some Help in selecting a gaming PC
« on: February 03, 2013, 10:31:02 am »
I have been playing RO 2 from my standard laptop for about the last year. I want to be more competitive so I am thinking of  buying a gaming computer. I don't need all the bells & whistles but I guess it should be water cooled with overclocking. Of course, I would like to keep the price down as much asossible.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

omniconsumer

• |LMC| Leader
  • There are black holes on my face.
Re: Need some Help in selecting a gaming PC
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 11:15:18 am »
Hello and nice to meet you sidbob!  Welcome to our little community.  I think you came to the right place for some good suggestions.  Do you have a preference to AMD or Intel?  I am thinking AMD since it would be a lot cheaper than Intel and would meet all your needs for gaming.

Will you be building this computer yourself?  That is the cheapest way to do it. Are you familiar with overclocking? I find in most cases, overclocking isn't needed with new builds. I highly recommend Newegg.com. I have been a customer for over 15 years and have never had a problem with them. 

Others here have had more recent experiences with building computers.   

ZenPhire

• |LMC| Leader
  • Good times...
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 01:17:38 pm »
What is your budget? What games do you expect play and at what quality? What other tasks besides gaming will you be using the pc for? What do you pan as far as ugrading? do you want an upgrade path or wil you just sell it in a couple years and build anew? Do you feel comfortable seating cpus and mounting heatsinks etc? do you have preference for intel vs amd cpu, or nvidia vs amd gpu? Do you care about form factor (fit under a desk, etc)? Do you have any parts to start with (like an old desktop that you can use the hdd, psu, case, etc)?

Watercooling? well that will add $60 for a "meh" solution, and around $200 for a proper solution. there plenty $40 air coolers that are plenty good for overclocking. what are you ambient temps like? you live in a really hot area?
“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” – Plato

Unkn0wn

• (LMC) Friend
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 03:26:47 pm »
It hasnt even been a week and I just built my first computer. With everything including monitor, mouse, keyboard, microphone, case, ect.. Mine came out to be $820 but really it could have been about $680 without all the extra stuff I bought. You don't need water cooling, just make sure you have enough airflow and fans.

zynx33

• |LMC| Senior Member
  • Live fast die young
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 05:45:43 pm »
Basic essential stuff for an AMD build, put it together in like 5 min, could probabaly find stuff for cheaper if I really looked but theese could be your basic parts.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?BundleExist=N&ID=21600965&ChangeQty=0

ZenPhire

• |LMC| Leader
  • Good times...
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 08:13:14 pm »
Basic essential stuff for an AMD build, put it together in like 5 min, could probabaly find stuff for cheaper if I really looked but theese could be your basic parts.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?BundleExist=N&ID=21600965&ChangeQty=0
Whatever you did there doesn't work. (link)

A good starting place for good components is: http://techreport.com/review/24059/system-guide-current

My recommendations are Intel and nVidia. 7000 AMD graphics are good too but they aren't as rubust as nVidia and down the road you might regret it. Though if all you want to do is play ARMA2 and are going to just be doing "classic" 3D gaming without interest about anything like S3D, etc... well then then it's six one and half dozen the other, and in that case AMD hold the best value I think currently with the 7850 (and scalable if you get the 2GB version).

Intel has better performing cores/architecture for single threaded applications (most games). So generally if your primary concern is gaming then I highly recommend intel over AMD. Personally I find AMDs SMP arcitecture to be vastly superior than intel and it's "hyperthreading", but there is no denying intel's core efficiency. Single threaded clock for clock intel dominates... HARD. And don't let people convince you that you'd have to spend at least $200 to go intel, they have chips just as affordable as AMD, as low as $40 I believe.

If you are serious about overclocking then you'll want to spend more on a decent mobo if you plan on pushing bus speed. Otherwise you need to get a processor with an unlocked multiplier. The AMD X4-965 is a nice overclocker usually able to get to 4GHz without much voltage increase, but it will suck more power, and still can't compete with intel.  Intels generally have a lot of headroom for overclocking but a lot can depend on the cpu, stepping, etc.

Some more resources for choosing a processor:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
http://www.cpu-world.com/benchmarks/desktop_CPUs_single.html
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

For graphics cards, just stick with the latest gen if you can, and buy the highest number you can afford (though personally I thinks it's a waste to spend much over $200 unless you have the money to burn).

Need a budget and what you have already (what you don't need to buy, i.e.: OS, Case, HDD, etc) in order to offer suggestions.

zynx33

• |LMC| Senior Member
  • Live fast die young
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 10:42:28 pm »
I threw together a AMD fx-6300 6 core vishera at 3.6GHz, radeon 7870 GHz edition, 8GB ripjaw, 650 rosewill hive PSU, coolermaster haf 912 case, and just some 60$ am3+ mobo. Oh, and a 1TB 7200rpm hardrive.

sidbob01

• I'm on my way!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 08:02:52 pm »
Thank you guy for your responses. I'm in the process of digesting your recommendastions before I come to my final decision.

All the best for a successful gaming year.

zynx33

• |LMC| Senior Member
  • Live fast die young
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 03:10:32 am »
Make sure you post your final build here so we can look it over before you buy it!

ZenPhire

• |LMC| Leader
  • Good times...
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 11:03:58 am »
Thank you guy for your responses. I'm in the process of digesting your recommendastions before I come to my final decision.

All the best for a successful gaming year.

There hasn't been a proper response, still need a budget!

Herold

• (LMC) Friend
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 04:45:28 pm »
Dude, first thing you gotta know about buying a computer is : BUILD IT YOURSELF! The ammount of money you save is monumental. I know a great website www.dinopc.co.uk

Mulk3r0

• (LMC) Friend
  • The lurking one
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 12:22:34 am »
Build it yourself. You'll spare so much money that way
What is madness but the nobility of soul at odds with circumstances?

zynx33

• |LMC| Senior Member
  • Live fast die young
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 12:59:37 pm »
Ya we still need a budget, I mean you could throw together a cheap fx-4100 and pair it with a 7850, 8GB ram, haf 912 case for $50 would be a good choice, a $50 am3 mobo, and then all the little extra stuff you need to throw it together, cd drive, HDD's, SSD's, etc etc.

ZenPhire

• |LMC| Leader
  • Good times...
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 03:14:06 pm »
I thinks he already chose something guys, its been over 2 months since he said he was making his decision. =)

Unkn0wn

• (LMC) Friend
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 07:27:11 pm »
I thinks he already chose something guys, its been over 2 months since he said he was making his decision. =)

Haha I thought the same thing. Dead thread is dead.