Author Topic: Need some networking help. I'm looking at you Zen!  (Read 3067 times)

zynx33

• |LMC| Senior Member
  • Live fast die young
Need some networking help. I'm looking at you Zen!
« on: June 20, 2013, 10:11:02 pm »
Got a new wireless adapter, TP-Link n600 to be exact. Anyways it keeps dropping the connection about once every minute or so. Any ideas?

--RAWR--

Re: Need some networking help. I'm looking at you Zen!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 10:23:46 pm »
How far away from the router are you, What material does the signal have to pass through, Is there wireless interference, Is it plugged into a usb port that isn't out it the open IE in the back of the pc jammed between a wall. There are alot of issues that can affect wifi cards and it can be hand to determine what factor is causing the problems. If the adapter is brand new is it possible the router is  buggy or improperly configured.

zynx33

• |LMC| Senior Member
  • Live fast die young
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 10:33:12 pm »
How far away from the router are you, What material does the signal have to pass through, Is there wireless interference, Is it plugged into a usb port that isn't out it the open IE in the back of the pc jammed between a wall. There are alot of issues that can affect wifi cards and it can be hand to determine what factor is causing the problems. If the adapter is brand new is it possible the router is  buggy or improperly configured.

I feared it might  be because of how many walls away the router is, but my old motherboard that had built in wifi could connect to it and not drop connection, and I'm pretty sure this network adapter is better than the intergrated one in my old motherboard.

--RAWR--

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 12:38:33 am »
Not always, it can depend on the hardware installed. I had this old laptop from like '02 i think and had a little Belkin wireless USB stick and it only had about 3/4 of the range the laptop had, also having used alot of various wireless usb devices (my dad ALWAYS plugged directly into the router) I have found major discrepancies between alot of them like the range they have, reliability, network speed, driver complications. So far I have always had best result with Linksys and high end Belkin products.
I did look up the model your using and stick devices like that can fall host to it's own sort of problems. I've had cases where the actual usb plug had bent n that messed up the wifi, or had ones that had gotten hit while plugged in and either bent it or would cause driver issues. The best solution i have found is to get a USB extender cable and run it up a wall and fasten it somehow and put your wireless stick on that. Generally you want to have it as high off the ground and away from obstructions as possible.

zynx33

• |LMC| Senior Member
  • Live fast die young
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 12:47:16 am »
Not always, it can depend on the hardware installed. I had this old laptop from like '02 i think and had a little Belkin wireless USB stick and it only had about 3/4 of the range the laptop had, also having used alot of various wireless usb devices (my dad ALWAYS plugged directly into the router) I have found major discrepancies between alot of them like the range they have, reliability, network speed, driver complications. So far I have always had best result with Linksys and high end Belkin products.
I did look up the model your using and stick devices like that can fall host to it's own sort of problems. I've had cases where the actual usb plug had bent n that messed up the wifi, or had ones that had gotten hit while plugged in and either bent it or would cause driver issues. The best solution i have found is to get a USB extender cable and run it up a wall and fasten it somehow and put your wireless stick on that. Generally you want to have it as high off the ground and away from obstructions as possible.

I think I fixed it, changed the channel on my router from 153 to 157?

zynx33

• |LMC| Senior Member
  • Live fast die young
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 02:10:45 am »
Nope! Still does it

• (LMC) Friend
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 10:02:59 am »
have you checked your printer cables?
"With a gun barrel between your teeth, you speak only in vowels."

Burt_Reynolds

• |LMC| Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 10:34:54 am »
have you tried plugging you laptop in to the router instead of wirelessly connecting?
With great mustache, comes great responsibility.

Unkn0wn

• (LMC) Friend
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 03:14:15 pm »
"Have you tried turning it off and on?

Is it plugged in?"

zynx33

• |LMC| Senior Member
  • Live fast die young
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 04:38:44 pm »
I'm not on a laptop, secondly I don't have the option to plug my desktop into my router. However I think I fixed the problem. I only get around 1MB/s download speed though, sometimes dropping down to 500KB/s, so I'm gonna buy a USB extension like rawr said, but run it outside of my room and into our laundry room that is a bit closer to the router, maybe even move it to the stairs. See if that helps.

omniconsumer

• |LMC| Leader
  • There are black holes on my face.
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 04:44:00 pm »
I want to mess with your network adapter settings.  Are you running it full duplex?

zynx33

• |LMC| Senior Member
  • Live fast die young
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 04:54:58 pm »
I want to mess with your network adapter settings.  Are you running it full duplex?

Not sure what that means...

ZenPhire

• |LMC| Leader
  • Good times...
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 09:56:42 am »
full duplex means in and out at the same time. as opposed to in, out, out, in, out, in , in....
“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” – Plato