Author Topic: Windows 7 won't boot  (Read 4400 times)

zynx33

• |LMC| Senior Member
  • Live fast die young
Windows 7 won't boot
« on: December 28, 2013, 12:27:47 am »
I got an i7-3770k, a new mobo, and a case. Got it all put together and running, but windows 7 won't boot. I tried burning the windows 7 iso to a disc, and set it to boot from that but it just says windows is loading files, then goes to windows is starting, then restarts or freezes.

So then I tried to use a usb as a bootdrive with windows 7 on it, and it just says windows is loading files, then windows is starting, then it restarts or freezes.

People say I need to reinstall windows because it doesn't have the drivers for my new motherboard, but to download the drivers i need windows to boot. But When I try to reinstall windows the problems up top occur.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 07:14:00 pm by omniconsumer »

zynx33

• |LMC| Senior Member
  • Live fast die young
Re: Windows 7 won't boot.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 12:28:41 am »
Also, now when I try to install windows from the boot drive USB or the disc it gives me a blue screen saying page fault in non paged area. I've checked my RAM and it's ok....

omniconsumer

• |LMC| Leader
  • There are black holes on my face.
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 12:40:36 am »
How many sticks of RAM do you have? Because my first step would be to take out sticks one at a time while only leaving one in while you try to boot windows and install it.

I feel like I have had this issue and was able to resolve it by removing all sticks of RAM except one.  I think that will work, or at least rule out RAM problem.  You may be able to even install Windows and then put the RAM back and have no problems at all. 

« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 12:47:08 am by omniconsumer »

Marxman

• |LMC| Officer
  • Im in a tree
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 01:07:30 am »
My recommendation is that you take a flash drive and put Damn Small Linux on it. If you cant boot that up you know its a hardware issue. If you do boot it up, make a small partition for the Linux OS so you at least have a running computer. Use your now working OS as a springboard and install Win7 on the rest of the HD or whatever partition size you want for it.
"I am not stopping the vehicle. There's no "I" in martyrdom."
--My SL after I asked to get out of a bombcar

omniconsumer

• |LMC| Leader
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 01:23:03 am »
Ground yourself before you go touching your hardware.

zynx33

• |LMC| Senior Member
  • Live fast die young
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 01:52:55 am »
Took out a stic of ram and now it's giving me a different error saying irql not less or equal
EDIT: it's a blue screen saying irql not less or equal.

EDIT EDIT: Omni I piffing love you, it was a ram issue. installing windows now, wish me luck!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 02:38:49 am by zynx33 »

omniconsumer

• |LMC| Leader
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 01:06:14 pm »
Believe it or not, but that's progress lol.

Did you install Windows completely?  Is your computer booting up? 

That error has to do with drivers. I am guessing it has to do with your motherboard drivers and Windows 7 and not your video card (it is a possibility though).

However, unless you havent already done so, update windows if it lets you completely. Sometimes you have to run the update more than once and look for optional ones that may slip through without getting installed.

Are you still getting blue screens? I will put money on it being drivers related to your motherboard. 

If you are still having this issue, you can back peddle and try one stick of RAM at a time.  It's a bitch, I know, but I think you can get this fixed. 

*****Once again and I cant stress this enough, but even a slight unnoticed static charge can destroy computer componenets, you have to ground yourself before you handle them.******
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 01:09:38 pm by omniconsumer »

zynx33

• |LMC| Senior Member
  • Live fast die young
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 05:14:30 pm »
Believe it or not, but that's progress lol.

Did you install Windows completely?  Is your computer booting up? 

That error has to do with drivers. I am guessing it has to do with your motherboard drivers and Windows 7 and not your video card (it is a possibility though).

However, unless you havent already done so, update windows if it lets you completely. Sometimes you have to run the update more than once and look for optional ones that may slip through without getting installed.

Are you still getting blue screens? I will put money on it being drivers related to your motherboard. 

If you are still having this issue, you can back peddle and try one stick of RAM at a time.  It's a bitch, I know, but I think you can get this fixed. 

*****Once again and I cant stress this enough, but even a slight unnoticed static charge can destroy computer componenets, you have to ground yourself before you handle them.******

Yeah last night I narrowed it down to one stick of RAM not working, now running 6GB. I'm going to  install the motherboard drivers from the website now.

omniconsumer

• |LMC| Leader
Re: Windows 7 won't boot
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 12:02:23 am »
Who is your RAM's manufacturer? Some places offer lifetime warranties, while others may offer 3 year extended ones. You should check.

Make sure to try to run windows stable with one ram dimm at a time before you decide its all your ram dimms.

zynx33

• |LMC| Senior Member
  • Live fast die young
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 04:02:18 am »
"ramaxel"

omniconsumer

• |LMC| Leader
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 10:41:34 am »
Under 3 year standard warranty.  Pretty good standard warranty. Get it replaced by them.  It may take a month or so t get it replaced, but still...

Also, how do you know its audio?  It's rare that causes problems like that.  Perhaps rare for me anyway in my years of troubleshooting bsods. 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 10:52:17 am by omniconsumer »

zynx33

• |LMC| Senior Member
  • Live fast die young
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 02:58:49 pm »
Under 3 year standard warranty.  Pretty good standard warranty. Get it replaced by them.  It may take a month or so t get it replaced, but still...

Also, how do you know its audio?  It's rare that causes problems like that.  Perhaps rare for me anyway in my years of troubleshooting bsods.

It seemed like audio driver conflicting, however it's not. I've narrowed the problem down to "ntoskrnl.exe" That's what's causing my blue screen. I've been googling it and haven't come up with any solutions.

zynx33

• |LMC| Senior Member
  • Live fast die young
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 06:14:49 am »
Hey omni where did you find the 3 year warranty for my RAM? I can't even find a proper support page.

omniconsumer

• |LMC| Leader
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 12:54:57 pm »
http://www.ramaxel.com/eng_Service02.aspx

It looks like a foreign company, so if they decide you are eligible, it will probably take 4-6 weeks, if not longer, for you to get it replaced.  In your case, if I had the funds, I would buy the new ram and send out the old for replacement and then sell the ones you recieve back.

OR

I would just use one dimm of working ram until I received my replacements.  Windows 7 can run fine on 2 gigabytes of ram.  I think streaming is more affected by connection and less by ram. However, I have a strong feeling that you don't want your computer down to one dimm lol. 

zynx33

• |LMC| Senior Member
  • Live fast die young
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 01:35:23 pm »
http://www.ramaxel.com/eng_Service02.aspx

It looks like a foreign company, so if they decide you are eligible, it will probably take 4-6 weeks, if not longer, for you to get it replaced.  In your case, if I had the funds, I would buy the new ram and send out the old for replacement and then sell the ones you recieve back.

OR

I would just use one dimm of working ram until I received my replacements.  Windows 7 can run fine on 2 gigabytes of ram.  I think streaming is more affected by connection and less by ram. However, I have a strong feeling that you don't want your computer down to one dimm lol.

I won't be streaming for awhile anyways. haven't had a bsod in the last 24 hours though. played minecraft for like 3-4 hours straight last night and no crash.