Author Topic: Windows 7 won't boot  (Read 4399 times)

frombehind

• |LMC| Member
Re: Windows 7 won't boot
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 05:36:46 am »
did you get this sorted dude?

only by the sounds of it you might need a tiny bump to the sa voltage to keep the mch happy with 4(?) sticks of ram :)

zynx33

• |LMC| Senior Member
  • Live fast die young
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 12:35:40 pm »
Ya, it was windows updates that cause the problem. Did all the optional windows updates besides the internet explorer ones, and it's been fine now.

omniconsumer

• |LMC| Leader
  • There are black holes on my face.
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 07:19:29 pm »
did you get this sorted dude?

only by the sounds of it you might need a tiny bump to the sa voltage to keep the mch happy with 4(?) sticks of ram :)

Nice to have another tech savvy individual around!  :)

frombehind

• |LMC| Member
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 08:00:22 am »

i am a bit of a hardware geek if i am honest and i really enjoy overclocking stuff.

so if anybody wants any help in that  regard i am more than happy to help :D

these are 2 of my current cpu:

and some of my older ones :)

i know much of overclocking is down to luck, with how good the chip you get is, but they do not oc themselves either. the e7400, q9550 and 970 be are all uk records :D

zynx33

• |LMC| Senior Member
  • Live fast die young
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 12:28:27 pm »

i am a bit of a hardware geek if i am honest and i really enjoy overclocking stuff.

so if anybody wants any help in that  regard i am more than happy to help :D

these are 2 of my current cpu:

and some of my older ones :)

i know much of overclocking is down to luck, with how good the chip you get is, but they do not oc themselves either. the e7400, q9550 and 970 be are all uk records :D

I was thinking of OC my 3770k, but haven't felt the need to yet. How far do you think it could go on the stock cooler? like 4.1?

frombehind

• |LMC| Member
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 01:32:48 pm »
issue with overclocking the ivybridge cpu is the same as haswell. intel crippled their oc headroom by using thermal paste under the heat spreader so they get to a point where they overheat much quicker. how much paste they used is the main determining factor in how high you will get with any cooler.

the batch number and stock vcore is a rough indicator of how it will perform at the extremes of its envelope but stock cooling is not going to get it that far :)

it could be pushing the temps at stock speeds with the stock intel cooler. it could be you like your ac and the cpu has the perfect blob of tim which will let it do 4.5ghz with it. from here i have no real way of knowing.

the choice of motherboard and power supply will also play a role, but to a lesser degree than on older sockets.

ZenPhire

• |LMC| Leader
  • Good times...
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 02:49:07 pm »
There is deciding for the brave. =)
“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” – Plato

frombehind

• |LMC| Member
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 09:38:41 am »
easiest way to test it would be to download the intel extreme tuning utility and use it to test.

it reads all the clocks and volts and temps too so is something of a 1 stop does all for overclocking the later intel systems.

use it at stock to see how the temps are, what voltages you're running and from that you will have a better idea of how much extra speed you can gain.

use the benchmark to test for stability, it is much harder on the system in a short period of time and as such it makes an ideal stress test (asus rog realbench is another benchmark which is the same) for testing overclocks.