Author Topic: Engineers Develop Tiny, Self-Propelled Bio-Bots That Swim  (Read 1969 times)

omniconsumer

• |LMC| Leader
  • There are black holes on my face.
Engineers Develop Tiny, Self-Propelled Bio-Bots That Swim
« on: January 18, 2014, 04:45:20 pm »
A team of engineers and researchers at University of Illinois Gutgsell have developed tiny “bio-hybrid” devices that are capable of swimming, in a way comparable to that of sperm, certain forms of bacteria, and other unicellular life. These self-propelled machines are the very first synthetic constructions that can independently move through the viscous fluids of biological environments.

Taher Saif, University of Illinois Gutgsell Professor of mechanical science and engineering, led the team behind the nano machines.

"Micro-organisms have a whole world that we only glimpse through the microscope," says Saif. "This is the first time that an engineered system has reached this underworld."

The synchronized beating of the heart cells is key to the operation of the machines, but how the heart cells communicate is not yet fully been understood.
"It's the minimal amount of engineering - just a head and a wire," says Saif. "Then the cells come in, interact with the structure, and make it functional."

The medical benefits from such technology will have wide ranging impacts on health care.  Imagine having an injection of nanobots capable of delivering medicines along with a plethora of other applications.  It is only limited by the imagination at this point.  Go Humans, Go!

Microscopic image of the bio-bot machine, with the head (right), affixed to its long, flexible tail.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 11:04:23 pm by omniconsumer »

ZenPhire

• |LMC| Leader
  • Good times...
Re: Engineers Develop Tiny, Self-Propelled Bio-Bots That Swim
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 03:03:08 pm »
This is excellent. Such a small piece of the puzzle, but it's go I no to enable rapid progress. Thanks for sharing omni, this is gonna make my wife's day too. =)
“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” – Plato

--RAWR--

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 02:32:59 pm »
I think its an incredible leap for human scientist's! While I sure there will be many legitimate medical uses for them I'm afraid of people using them for more illegitimate gains. Am I the only one who thinks that if they made self replicating Nanite's then how hard would it be to engineer a mind control device then unleash it upon a population or some other kind of bio-weapon. This is groundbreaking technology we are creating and the possibilities are endless but I suppose only time will tell.

omniconsumer

• |LMC| Leader
  • There are black holes on my face.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 10:24:44 pm »
I think its an incredible leap for human scientist's! While I sure there will be many legitimate medical uses for them I'm afraid of people using them for more illegitimate gains. Am I the only one who thinks that if they made self replicating Nanite's then how hard would it be to engineer a mind control device then unleash it upon a population or some other kind of bio-weapon. This is groundbreaking technology we are creating and the possibilities are endless but I suppose only time will tell.

Chances are, we're all going to go extinct. We should get to Mars as fast as we can.