Author Topic: Terence McKenna's "Stoned Ape" Theory of Human Evolution  (Read 2858 times)

--RAWR--

Terence McKenna was the first proponent of this theory, which theorizes that as the North African jungles receded toward the end of the most recent ice age, giving way to grasslands, a branch of our tree-dwelling primate ancestors left the branches and took up a life out in the open - following around herds of ungulates, nibbling what they could along the way.

Among the new items in their diet were psilocybin-containing mushrooms growing in the dung of these ungulate herds. The changes caused by the introduction of this drug to the primate diet were many -- McKenna theorizes, for instance, that synesthesia (the blurring of boundaries between the senses) caused by psilocybin led to the development of spoken language: the ability to form pictures in another person's mind through the use of vocal sounds. About 12,000 years ago, further climate changes removed the mushroom from the human diet, resulting in a new set of profound changes in our species as we reverted to pre-mushroomed and frankly brutal primate social structures that had been modified and/or repressed by less frequent consumption of psilocybin.

McKenna's theory is necessarily based on a great deal of supposition interpolating between the few fragmentary facts we know about hominid and early human history. In addition, because McKenna (who describes himself as "an explorer, not a scientist") is also a proponent of much wilder suppositions, his more reasonable theories are usually disregarded by the very scientists whose informed criticism is crucial for their development. In a review of his book Food of the gods, Village Voice stated 'if only a fraction of Mckenna thoughts are true, he will someday be regarded as the Copernican for consciousness'

This page links to resources that should help to fill in some of the gaps with the theory with data from various sciences and will try to address other cultural myths about Apes unprecedentedly quick brain and minds evolution from Ape to Human.

"The 20th century mind is nostalgic for the paradise that once existed on the mushroom-dotted plains of Africa, where the plant-human symbiosis occurred that pulled us out of the animal body and into the tool-using, culture-making, imagination-exploring creature that we are." - Mckenna

Read more: http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showwiki.php?title=Stoned_Ape_Theory#ixzz35tdrPYDZ

omniconsumer

• |LMC| Leader
  • There are black holes on my face.
Re: Terence McKenna's "Stoned Ape" Theory of Human Evolution
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 09:51:01 pm »
Shrooms ftw!  It's funny you posted this now. I was seriously considering doing some psilocybin today, but opted against it. It' such a spiritual experience for me that to really enjoy it you have to be centered. I wasn't feeling very centered today.  :(   That is a very interesting supposition though.

Marxman

• |LMC| Officer
  • Im in a tree
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 11:57:19 am »
That is an incredibly interesting view.  Makes perfect sense to me honestly,  psilocybin changes your brain chemistry permanently after ingesting them.  Opens receptors and synapses otherwise closed off to the brain.  Ima need to read some more of this guys stuff. 

I would like to think about getting in touch with nature soon, but I still need to wait a while longer.
"I am not stopping the vehicle. There's no "I" in martyrdom."
--My SL after I asked to get out of a bombcar

ZenPhire

• |LMC| Leader
  • Good times...
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 03:16:26 pm »
Very cool theory. I too am going to start reading McKenna.
“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” – Plato

--RAWR--

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 04:07:21 pm »
Terrance McKenna is the father of all modern day psychoactive  substances and leads the field in the study and  practice aswelll as the discovery and synthesis of new psychoactive drugs. The government stopped him from doing alot of his work when they cracked down on drugs in the later years of his life.

DMT: The Spirit Molecule is also a very great read of his. It talks about the psychonaught exploration of the human mind via DMT.

Marxman

• |LMC| Officer
  • Im in a tree
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 07:44:23 pm »
His work really is something, much better than most of that drivel written by Leary and associates.  I have to go find it, but theres a paper documenting the use of LSD and other chemicals together (crica 1950 really interesting read.)   

The DMT documentary he did was incredibly interesting but I still think its completely sacrilegious to experiment with that chemical.  I mean, not completely derail this from McKenna, but if its not Ayahuasca ( in terms of DMT) then it shouldn't be taken by humans. I mean, its released on birth, death, small amounts for dreams, and near death experiences.   I really, really, really dont think people should be messing with pure DMT.

--RAWR--

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 08:09:41 pm »
I mean, its released on birth, death, small amounts for dreams, and near death experiences.   I really, really, really dont think people should be messing with pure DMT.
But there in lies the forbidden fruit so to speak. I honestly believe drugs in combination with the right desires is the key to unlocking more of our brains potential. Albeit that in the process we could open Pandoras box or we could change humanity for ever. However if no one steps up and attemps theese things we will never know the possibilities they could hold.

Marxman

• |LMC| Officer
  • Im in a tree
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 07:43:36 pm »
I mean, its released on birth, death, small amounts for dreams, and near death experiences.   I really, really, really dont think people should be messing with pure DMT.
But there in lies the forbidden fruit so to speak. I honestly believe drugs in combination with the right desires is the key to unlocking more of our brains potential. Albeit that in the process we could open Pandoras box or we could change humanity for ever. However if no one steps up and attemps theese things we will never know the possibilities they could hold.

Im not saying we shouldn't experiment with DMT.  What I AM saying is that  Ayahuasca should be being studied and ingested, not pure DMT. Pure DMT is by no means any good for you and has been know to cause heart palpitations, arrhythmia, all sorts of bad stuff ( if consciously ingested and not released naturally.)  Ayahuasca contains hundreds of different alkaloids and variations of DMT, and while they may be MAOIs, they provide a stable platform for it; resulting in an hours long experience that is much safer(relatively.)   I dont think 15 minutes to an hour is enough and/or safe for Humans to be risking their hearts, combined with the fact  that the plant in which it is most concentrated holds so many other interesting chemicals AND has the keys to our understanding of its existence in nature.