Author Topic: Finally VPN on all my devices  (Read 2178 times)

omniconsumer

• |LMC| Leader
  • There are black holes on my face.
Finally VPN on all my devices
« on: April 04, 2017, 02:41:41 pm »
I got a VPN from PIA (Private Internet Access) for $40 a year.  I gotta say, the internet has come a long way since 2600k. 

I never thought anyone would have to take such efforts to secure your digital footprint.  It didn't take a lot from me, but imagine the millions now that don't have the time, resources, or know-how to do it.  It is a shame.

Online Personal data has been sold and traded for a while now, mitigated by one's choices in the past. You don't have to use the "free" services of google or facebook, but people make the choice to trade information for those services.  Even then, if you wanted, you could still exert control. Hell, they even have privacy control options for the laymen.

But when the very gatekeepers of the internet are now allowed to trade in ALL of your internet use without choice, or check, in the US? That's a huge problem imo.  There is no choice.  You have no choice.  Not only do we end up paying for your ISP (more expensive on average in the US), but now they get to take their customers data and make money off of that as well through advertising and selling data to brokers.  Oh and Net neutrality, if you are aware, is up next on the chopping block in the US.

Internet users in America are the consumer and the product now. That's kind of nauseating.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 09:27:12 pm by omniconsumer »

Euronymus

• |LMC| Officer
Re: Finally VPN on all my devices
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 05:41:40 am »
I can only agree...  the next thing will be control

omniconsumer

• |LMC| Leader
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 09:06:25 am »
I can only agree...  the next thing will be control

Even though it is built into the US Constitution, the people do not as feel strongly about protecting their online privacy or digital information in America.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 08:02:48 pm by omniconsumer »

omniconsumer

• |LMC| Leader
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 01:06:05 pm »
You can use it on 5 devices for $40 a year. 

I have it on my main desktop, my cell phone, and my Linux laptop.

I love the fact that I can easily use it on my phone.  Our smartphones are easily the biggest threats to our privacy.   

omniconsumer

• |LMC| Leader
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 07:15:14 pm »
Come to think of it, I wish these forums were more secure, if only for the fact that google is actively pushing non-secure sites downward.  It is not at all hard to do and would take several minutes.

I remember when I cared enough about these forums to be "...just so tired, Steven."  -The Cable Guy 

Been there, done that, over it forever!

ZenPhire

• |LMC| Leader
  • Good times...
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 04:15:32 pm »
Lately there have been great deals on VPNs from humble bundle. There's a year VPN right now on the happy PC bundle. For the last 3 years that's how I've been doing it. That I like to set up my own VPNs on anonymous VPS hosts when needed. These days with cheap cloud servers it's so easy to spin up your own VPN.
“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” – Plato